Another bearish report from the USDA has brought Dec Corn all the way back from Where it started up – back in early May! Truly incredulous! It’s like the slowest planting pace In recent memory never really happened! We know it did! And we think substantial yield drag & prevent acres will impact this crop but that it might take actual Fall Harvest to reveal this!
FACTORS IMPACTING THE MKT
1. EXPORTS – Mon Inspections were 510,000 (600-800) & Thur sales were 363,000 (100-400)
2. CROP CONDITIONS – Gd/Ex went from 57 to 56 Ill – 42 (40) Ind -32 (33) Iowa – 65 (65) Ohio – 32 (34) Silking – 99(95) Dough – 55 (76)
3. USDA AUGUST CROP REPORT – Ouch! Another bearish shocker!
Crop Prod Est – 13,901 (12,719 – 13,550)
Yield 169.5 (162.0 -167.4)
Stocks 19-20 2181 (1297 – 1900)
Global 19-20 307.7 (282.0 – 298.7)
4. US/CHINA – more tariffs announced Friday morning – rocked the mkt that was leaning higher due to disappointing yields reported by the Pro Farmer Tour & cooler weather ahead
5. PRO FARMER TOUR- has completed its annual 7-state tour and will be announcing Its final yield estimates after the close today – generally, the tour revealed inconsistent results & a widespread lack of maturity – but almost without exception – lower yields than last year & lower than the 3-year average
6. COOLER TEMPS AHEAD – is NOT what the doctor ordered – to finish this crop! What we need are “heat units”!
7. RIGHT BACK WHERE WE STARTED FROM – amazingly, Dec corn futures have completely retraced the $1.00 up move spawned by the historic planting delays
We feel “yield drag” & “prevent acres” will come home to roost but that it will take the actual combines rolling before the worse-than-expected crop is identified!
Nov beans have held up better than Dec corn & Dec wht but even they weren’t stout enough to withstand the ravages of increased tariffs – announced by China at 7am this morning! In fact, no mkt was immune to the knee-jerk downward slide precipitated by the disappointing report! The stock mkt, crude oil & all the grains plummeted on the news! Only gold & silver were upside benefactors -in a flight-to-quality, inflationary rally! However, the mkt has become numb to any news about the US/China trade war – good or bad so many feel – this negative news may result in a “bearish exhaustion of prices”!
As the perennial weak sister, Dec wht has had no positive news on its own to offset the negative news from its sister mkts – corn & beans – and have followed them on the path of least resistance – to the downside. US wht is too high on the world mkt & our exports have suffered accordingly & while the Pro Farmer Crop Tour has consistently reported smaller yields than the USDA & also smaller than last year, they weren’t dramatically less than expected – & as such, weren’t a real boon to the bull’s case! The only potential good news for the upside is unseasonably cool weather that could portend an early frost.
141 W. Jackson Blvd. Suite 1340A, Chicago, IL 60604 | (800) 769-7021 | (855) 264-6673 (Direct) | www.pricegroup.com
A Subsidiary of Price Holdings, Inc. – an Employee Owned Diversified Financial Services Firm. Orders must be entered via direct verbal communication with a representative of our firm. We cannot be held responsible for orders left in any other manner. PAST RESULTS ARE NOT NECESSARILY INDICATIVE OF FUTURE RESULTS. Investing in futures can involve substantial risk & is not for everyone. Trading foreign exchange also involves a high degree of risk. The leverage created by trading on margin can work against you as well as for you, and losses can exceed your entire investment. Before opening an account and trading, you should seek advice from your advisors as appropriate to ensure that you understand the risks and can withstand the losses. Member NIBA, NFA.
The information and data in this report were obtained from sources considered reliable. Their accuracy or completeness is not guaranteed and the giving of the same is not to be deemed as an offer or solicitation on our part with respect to the sale or purchase of any securities or futures. The PRICE Futures Group, its officers, directors, employees, and brokers may in the normal course of business have positions, which may or may not agree with the opinions expressed in this report. Any decision to purchase or sell as a result of the opinions expressed in this report will be the full responsibility of the person authorizing such transaction. Reproduction and/or distribution of any portion of this report are strictly prohibited without the written permission of the author.
To SUBSCRIBE to the AGMASTER please go to http://bit.ly/xIGR6x.
To Unsubscribe from the AGMASTER please send an email to [email protected].
View the AGMASTER Archives at http://blog.pricegroup.com/tag/agmaster.